Planet Residential - key terminology

The older residential sector is as diverse as the LGBT community. There are many different terms. To make things easier we have listed below some of the more common terms and what they mean.

Types of accommodation

Affordable Housing - Housing which is either for sale or rent, or a combination of both; at a below current market value and provided to specified eligible households whose needs are met by the market.

Care Home - A residential setting where a number of older people live, usually in single rooms with access to on-site care services. A home registered simply as a care home will provide personal care only. Some care homes are registered to provide specific care needs such as dementia or terminal illness.

Enhanced Sheltered Housing - The provision of sheltered accommodation where the resident has access to an on-site warden to call upon in an emergency 24/7. The warden is not a carer and is unable to undertake personal care tasks.

Extra Care - self contained properties, which are available to buy or rent. Sometimes also known as "Assisted Living" or "Very Sheltered" extra care.

Mixed use Development - Schemes which combine residential and commercial buildings on one site.

Private Developments - Self-contained properties that are normally privately owned. On site care and services are not provided. Larger developments may include shops and recreational facilities.

Sheltered Housing - Self-contained properies, which are available to rent or buy. Normally managed by an on-site manager. Emergency call response scheme is provided for residents, some form of communal facilities such as gardens are normally available. Residents can buy in care if they require it.

Supported Housing - Accommodation provided to vulnerable people assessed by the local authority as being in need of residential care.

Programmes and Funds

Affordable Housing Programme (AHP) - Aims to increase the supply of new affordable housing in England.

Better Care Fund - Wil provide £3.8bn to local services to give elderly and vulnerable people and improved health and social system.

Care and Support Fund - To support and accelerate the devleopment of the specialised housing market.

The Law

Care Act - A reform of the law relating to care and support for adults, the law relating to support for carers, to make provision about safeguarding adults from abuse or neglect and to make provision about care standards.

Personalisation Agenda - Where indviduals will receive their own budget and can decide how, who with and when they want to spend that budget in order to meet their needs and achieve their desired outcomes.

Section 106 Agreement - A legal agreement under section 106 of the 1990 Town & Country Planning Act between a planning authority and a developer, which ensure that certain works related to a development are undertaken. They tend to be used to support the provision of services and infrastructure, such as highways, recreational facilities, education, health and affordable housing.

Welfare Reform Bill - introduction of a Universal Credit to replace the existing means tested benefits and tax credits for people of working age, starting in April 2013.

Potential Stakeholders

Homes and Communities Agency - The Homes and Communities Agency (HCA) is a Government body responsible for hosuing and regeneration across England which provides funding for the delivery of new affordable housing.

Local Housing Officers - Local Housing Authorities have a housing enabling role and are responsible for making sure the needs of their communities are met.